Sunday, March 17, 2013

Hardware or Software Problem?

my computer is going soooo sloooowww...
Last week I tried to add a program and it had me add a bunch of stuff I didn't need. Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing and didn't really want to figure it out so I just clicked what the program told me to. This resulted in my computer doing crazy things that I didn't want and taking forever to do what I did want. Grrrr! Eventually I had to go to the control panel and uninstall all of the junk that was making my computer run wacky.
It made me think of how this same thing happens in our hearts, often times through the course of everyday life, we inadvertently add things that just don't belong there, things like impatience, materialism, people pleasing, selfishness, etc, etc. Those things make our lives operate in ways we don't want.
Its so important to run security scans of our hearts (Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and effective... It is able to judge the ideas and thoughts of the heart.") and remove the things that don't belong there (Revelation 12:11 They conquered... by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony).
It is often difficult to know which things are causing system problems when you have ADD.
Is it something in our hearts, some sin we have let creep in? Or is it an issue with the hard wiring? The challenge of ADD doesn't stop there! The mechanisms that we have created to survive with ADD can also complicate getting to the root of the matter. Things like avoidance, over-thinking or taking too much blame can make untangling the ADD-heart web quite challenging.
This is where faith has helped me immensely! My old-self would have spent a large amount of time and emotional energy trying to sort things out to make the perfect evaluation. In the end I would most likely have given up and left the situation unresolved. However, as I have grown in faith I have learned the truth about God and about myself. God is good, faithful and loving. I, on the other hand, am not those things at least not consistently anyway. So, when it comes down to it I can always trust God.
How does this help with ADD? Trusting God means I do not have to figure everything out! I can trust that if there is some error in me, as long as I keep my focus on Him, He will be faithful to reveal it and show me how to deal with it. That is FREEDOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment